With temperatures rising as we get closer to summer, you’ll definitely want to be on the search for some refreshing homemade summer drinks. Well, you’ve come to the right place. In this post we’ll be sharing a recipe to make a Southern style strawberry ice tea. Don’t worry, you don’t need to jump through hoops to make this summer drink. You can make this strawberry ice tea in a matter of minutes.
This homemade strawberry iced tea recipe is the perfect drink to enjoy and serve at a garden party or at a braai with some friends.
The Ingredients for this Southern Strawberry Ice Tea Recipe
Strawberry Simple Syrup:
- 3 cups strawberries, washed and stems removed, then sliced (should measure three cups or about 500g after they are sliced)
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
Note: You can use half a cup of sugar instead of an entire cup of sugar if you want to opt in for the healthier one.
For the Sweet Tea:
- 3 family sized Lipton original tea bags (or 9 regular sized tea bags)
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 8 cups cold water, in a large pitcher
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 lemon, cut into slices or wedges for garnish in glass
- 6-8 strawberries, washed but leave stems on, with a cut on the bottom for garnish on the glass
Again, feel free to only use half a cup of sugar instead of an entire cup.
- First, wash the strawberries. Set about six to eight strawberries aside to use as garnish. Remove the stems from the remaining strawberries and slice them. You should have about 3 cups of sliced strawberries in total.
- In a medium saucepan, add two cups of water, one cup of sugar (or half a cup if you want to try the healthier alternative) and the sliced strawberries. Cook the mixture over a medium to high heat until the mixture reaches boiling point.
- Then reduce the heat let simmer for 30 minutes or until the strawberries are soft and the liquid is a deep red colour.
- Using a mesh strainer, strain the strawberry syrup into a large pitcher. Press down on the strawberries gently to get the juice out, but be sure to not press too hard. You don’t want any strawberry chunks in your sweet tea!
- Now add three cups of boiling water to a large jug. Place three family sized tea bags into the hot water and let them steep for five minutes before removing the tea bags. Add one cup of sugar and stir well (or half a cup of sugar).
- Pour the jug of tea into the pitcher with the strawberry syrup and add eight cups of cold water. Stir well and add the juice from one large lemon.
- Cover the pitcher and refrigerate for two to three hours until very cold.
Credit to the author of this recipe: https://spaceshipsandlaserbeams.com/strawberry-sweet-tea/?fbclid=IwAR10UpQdnkgcYsIFm4h2gRGW5RAkpBGlKh-fkRZudRDiL9Th7aPrxEoUa6A